Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 220...



The rare Amazon Waterlily (Victoria amazonica) flowered this weekend – 6/7 August – at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens.

The Amazon Waterlily does not flower frequently, however, when it does, it creates a visually spectacular site for approximately 72 hours.

The flower opens during the day with white petals, closes overnight and reopens with its petals a beautiful shade of pink before dying.

The Adelaide Botanic Gardens is one of the only places in Australia to see this natural marvel, so is not to be missed.

The Amazon Waterlily Pavilion was purpose built an opened in 2007 to replace the lily’s original home, Victoria House, which was constructed in 1868.

The Gardens have been growing the Victoria amazonica for the past 140 years after the Gardens second director, Dr Richard Schomburgk, brought seeds back from an expedition to Guyana, South America.

The lily in the Adelaide Botanic Garden is a result of genetic material collected from the 2005 Guyana Expedition, which was lead by the Botanic Gardens of Adelaide Director Stephen Forbes.

My plan was to use the HDR function in Photoshop (elements 8) so I took bracketed shots, when I got home and went through the process I was not happy with the end result so I played... this is three bracketed shots that I mixed just using the blend tools in Layers... I am happy with it

PS managed to get my shot before going to work so no wandering the streets at 11:30 looking for a shot    

No comments:

Post a Comment